Thursday, February 14, 2008

Correction of my position regarding Windows Vista

I noticed that in the very first post of this blog, I'm very enthusiastic about the Vista Beta 1.

Just to clarify: I no longer endorse Windows Vista.

I am sad to say that I did actually buy a Windows Vista license; it came with my new laptop. As soon as it arrived, I made a Ghost image of the drive and prepared to wipe the drive to make it available for better things. But then I thought "Let's try and use this 'Vista', to see what people can possibly like about it."

So I booted up the new laptop. The first thing I noticed was that the Windows logo was conspicuously missing from the Windows splash screen. A bit odd, in my opinion...
Next, I was presented with two license agreement windows, one from Acer, the other from Microsoft. After this, I was asked to set up the usual things, like language and time.

Then, Windows decided that it wanted to "measure [my] computer's performance". Now this was annoying. Not only did it take about 20 minutes (that's how long it takes me to install a complete Ubuntu system), but it did not display any information about what it was doing. Why this 20-minute mystery process Microsoft?

Finally, I got to my brand new Vista desktop. My first thought: "Ooh. Shiny!" I then proceeded to set up and use Vista for just over three hours. After that, I'd had enough.

No comments: